Steel Metal Roofing Sheet: The roof of each building is one of the most important structures that protect the house from external factors. And onward with this, the roof also becomes a variety of decoration. That is why it is necessary to choose and equip it correctly. A great choice is to install a joint roof with your personal hands. But for its installation, you want to understand all the features of the design project.
Today, the subsequent materials are utilized for its composition:
- First, of course, we note galvanized steel metal roofing sheet, which is additionally coated with primer and protective compounds. They, in turn, improve the performance characteristics of the material, as well as its durability;
- The next is copper, which is produced in the form of roll material. According to its texture, it can be presented in its pure form, as well as with special textured embossing and patterns. Copper seam roofing has a significantly longer service life, which can be up to 300 years. In addition, it is worth noting that the connection of such sheets can also be performed using soldering, and not only by the folded method;
- Next comes aluminum, also available in rolls. Given the softness of the material, it is allowed to apply a pattern on it, respectively, imitate other coatings, for example, tiles. Such a coating does not corrode, and besides, it does not lend itself to the effects of climatic changes;
- And the last is zinc-titanium. This type of coating is produced both in sheet form and in strips. Such material is quite fragile during installation, but at the same time has a high level of resistance to corrosion.
This completes the permissibly used coatings, and now it is worth considering the features of this type of roof.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Metal Sheet Roof
Of course, this type of roof has gained its popularity due to several advantages over other types, among them are noted:
- High level of tightness.
- Additional thermal insulation.
- Good adhesion between elements.
- Durability, the operating period, depending on the material, reaches several hundred years.
- Lightness, which allows installation without the additional strengthening of the rafter system.
- Resistance to the effects of chemical compounds.
- It is not exposed to rust, mildew, and mildew.
- Increased resistance to mechanical stress.
- The ability to cover any roof configuration, even complex ones.
- The service life of such a roof is 18-25 years without major repairs, after which painting and additional maintenance are required.
- And it is also worth noting the smoothness of the coating, which significantly accelerates precipitation from the roof, and helps to eliminate unnecessary stress on the structure.
Preparing to Install The System
Before beginning the installation of a steel metal roofing sheet right, it is important to prepare all elements, as well as the base for planning. As part of the preparation, it is necessary to perform:
- Applying a primer to the coating surface.
- Preparation of the rafter system.
- Treatment of rafters with protective compounds.
- Preparation of folded joints.
Let’s consider each stage in more detail.
One of the disadvantages of some materials for standing seam roofing is corrosion under adverse atmospheric and environmental conditions. To increase the life of the roof, the sheet material should be primed. Priming is a simple operation, which consists of the fact that steel metal sheets previously cleaned from dust are covered with a natural drying oil on both sides. Draining oil is used on the whole surface of the sheet in a regular layer.
“Important! If you buy a material previously ready for installation, which has been pre-treated with protecting unions, provide building contractors NYC, then you do not want to prime it“
Depending on the chosen metal roofing material, the lathing can be done in several steps. In particular, its design depends on the weight of the structure. In this way:
- For standard steel roofing, lathing is installed in increments of 20-25 centimeters.
- For zinc, copper, and aluminum, a constant crate is given.
The lathing for a galvanized steel metal roofing sheet is made of bars with a cross-section of 50 x 50 mm and a step width not exceeding 200 mm. The lathing of bars can be replaced by a continuous flooring of boards, on which first a heat-insulating layer of roofing felt or roofing is laid on top, and then a steel coating. In addition, if a drainage device is expected in the future, then the laying of the lathing is performed without gaps along with the rafter system. In the place of the future skate device, boards are provided on each side. Additionally, if there is a groove, a continuous boardwalk is provided in its place.
Rafter System Processing
It is also worth well preparing the rafter system itself. In particular, treat with protective compounds, if this has not been done before. Namely:
- Protection against corrosion, mold, and mildew
- Fire protection
- Compounds for increasing strength
All types of formulations should be applied strictly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
And just before hiring a roofing contractors in NYC, it is necessary to prepare the seam fastenings on the sheets of material. As already mentioned, it is worth pre-cutting the sheets to the required size following the prepared project and calculations. The next step is the preparation of folds and the creation of pictures of the main plane and additional sections. Previously, the pictures are fastened together with folds and form a solid coating for almost the entire slope. In appearance, folded joints can be divided into standing and recumbent, and according to the degree of sealing – into single and double. In addition, the rabbits can be combined when required.
Do-it-Yourself Seam Roof Device
Do-it-yourself installation of a metal roof is quite simple. Let’s examine the whole method in the form of step-by-step directions that will not let you need anything and do an error.
- After preparing the sheets, we begin directly the installation process itself. The first step is to install the mounting profiles. They are mounted at the bottom of the slope, as well as at the top, where a ridge will be provided in the future.
- The fastening itself is carried out with self-tapping screws for metal, or with special bolts.
- After fixing them, we begin to fix the roof sheets directly.
- Then we move down and fix the sheet around the perimeter (in the place of the fold there are also special cells for fastening.
- Now we install the second strip. Attachment to the guides is carried out in the same way. But now, we fasten one side of the sheet with a fold with the first and fix the second with a threaded fastener.
- We equip all subsequent sheets in the same way.
- The last step is to secure the ridge, which is made of the same material as the roof itself. The sheet is bent at an angle no more than the angle of the roof itself, after which it is threaded onto the guide profiles.
And it is also worth providing some tips for work and preparation.
- First of all, it should be said that it is advisable to provide a layer of hydro and vapor barrier before laying. It is recommended to use roll materials, for example, roofing felt or roofing felt. Such a step will help not only insulate the roof but also increase sound insulation, which is quite important for this type of coating.
- When installing a roof with a slight slope, it is recommended to fasten it with a double standing seam.
- It is better to carry out the work with assistants, taking an additional 2-3 people, since it is rather difficult to properly align and fix the materials yourself.
- It is recommended to purchase a covering with ready-made folds, since special equipment may be required for their self-preparation, and this is an extra cost.
That’s all, take into account all the tips, and then the device of a metal roof on your own will be quite simple.
Now you know how to properly install a seam roof with your own hands. As you can see, the technology for arranging metal sheets is quite simple, but you cannot cope with it alone. For you to more clearly learn how to carry out this type of work, we suggest that you watch several videos on their implementation.